Join the YE4C Editorial Board [Apply by 9/19/21]
Join the YE4C Editorial Board [Apply by 9/19/21]
Show All Topics
What is the YE4C Editorial Board?
The Youth Engaged 4 Change (YE4C) Editorial Board is a group of young people, ages 16 to 24, who create content for the YE4C website, YE4C Instagram, YE4C Facebook, and YE4C Radio. The YE4C Editorial Board creates content that is informative, empowering, authentic, and relatable to young people in the United States.
The YE4C Editorial Board also provides advice on how to best shape web and social media content intended to improve young peoples’ lives. Some YE4C Editorial Board members create or provide guidance on content for youth.gov, which focuses on reaching youth-serving organizations.
The YE4C Editorial Board helps to ensure that the content on the YE4C platform is interesting, relevant, and helpful to the YE4C audience. YE4C Editorial Board members participate in virtual meetings to discuss issues that matter to young people. Their main role is to create original, youth-engaging content (written, visual, and audio) for the YE4C website and social media platforms. Members are expected to work both independently and collaboratively with other Editorial Board members and various changemakers. Tasks of the YE4C Editorial Board may include:
- Developing content based on individual interests
- Developing content as directed by the Interagency Working Group on Youth Programs
- Reviewing and selecting resources to be added to the YE4C website
- Staying up to date on concerns and perspectives of youth (for example, by communicating with other youth offline or online)
- Reviewing peers' written, audio, and visual content and giving helpful feedback
- Sharing YE4C content and opportunities with youth in their networks (for example, sharing opportunities on social media)
- Participating in two or more meetings each month
We strive to create an editorial board that reflects the diverse demographics and lived experiences of young people around the country. We welcome diverse representation among applicants, including people of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, geographic areas, religious backgrounds, physical abilities, mental abilities, socioeconomic status, life experiences, and more. YE4C Editorial Board members are encouraged to use their diverse personal interests, skills, and life experiences to inform YE4C content and drive change. Here are some examples of content created by previous YE4C Editorial Board members:
- Blog - Learn the Basics of Autism
- Blog - Advocating for Yourself When School Isn’t Easy
- YE4C Radio – Empowering Youth through Financial Planning
- IGTV - Ableism Through Lived Experience
- Instagram Post: Side Effects of COVID-19 Vaccines
- youth.gov Video and Audio: Lessons for Supportive Adults on Youth Isolation
- Instagram Live: Understanding Trauma and Building Resiliency
Visit this page to learn more about YE4C.
What time commitment is expected of YE4C Editorial Board members?
YE4C Editorial Board members participate in meetings, create and review content, and share ideas to improve YE4C. The time commitment varies throughout the term; however, we estimate an average of 5 hours per week or 20 hours per month.
The commitment to the YE4C Editorial Board will last for 10 months, beginning in October 2021 and ending in August 2022.
How can I benefit from participating on the YE4C Editorial Board?
Make a difference in the lives of young people
Being a part of the YE4C Editorial Board is a great opportunity to make a difference in the lives of young people by creating content that informs, inspires, and empowers young people. YE4C Editorial Board members have the opportunity to draw on their personal life experiences to create content that educates young people about the systems that influence their lives and provide guidance on ways that young people can help to improve those systems.
Improve your skills
The main duty of YE4C Editorial Board members is to provide insight and guidance on the content posted on the YE4C website and social media. Editors are also responsible for creating and reviewing content for the YE4C website and social media. This process gives editors a chance to improve their skills while helping young people across the nation.
Work with young leaders from around the country
YE4C Editorial Board members enjoy meeting and working with other young leaders from around the country. Members get to know others who share their passion for creating change, even while having different life experiences and backgrounds.
Meet with leaders in the federal government
Editors also get the opportunity to meet and network with leaders in the federal government and learn more about their work, educational background, and career development. The next group of the YE4C Editorial Board will have opportunities to meet with leaders in various federal government agencies and learn more about how to advocate for change and make a difference.
Get YE4C Swag
All YE4C Editorial Board members will receive up to $1,000 in the form of a gift card or check for their participation on the board. Each editor also receives YE4C swag as well as a write-up on the YE4C blog.
Am I eligible to apply for a position on the YE4C Editorial Board?
To be eligible for the YE4C Editorial Board, you must be prepared to perform the tasks described above. You must also:
- Be between the ages of 16 and 24
- Commit at least 20 hours per month to the role from October 2021 through August 2022
- Have access to reliable internet service
- Be open to giving and receiving honest and direct feedback on work related to YE4C
- Be willing and able to communicate regularly with YE4C staff and other YE4C Editorial Board members